Sunday, February 18, 2007

Finishing Touches

I think it would be a good idea if academic degrees were conferred, conditionally. One of the conditions being that we all write a short story about our lives when we reach a certain age, say, fifty. My finite wisdom has expanded noticeably since I became a serious writer, and I suspect the world would be a lot more interesting (and safer?) if every adult was required to pen their histories for posterity.

"Stock Power (The Novel)" became a life's work nearly two years ago when I envisioned the commercial value it might have when it finally gets published - sometime in March. Coincidental to the advent of the new year, I have been able to assess my outlook from an improved perspective. Since the day I wrote the first paragraph of my story, I have learned a lot about what drives drives me crazy, gets my goat, makes me tick.

Of course, a novel is a serious venture, especially if you want people to pay to read it. However, the process of putting something in writing after it swirls around in your mind is a fantastic thing! I'll take a minute and give you an example of what I mean.

I wrote about a woman I met toward the end of the story I'm writing. I described my feelings toward her along with the special moments we had together over the course of our eighteen month love affair. Trying to make it interesting for someone else to read was fun and challenging.

Last night, I read a passage from that section, for the first time in three months. Wow! I had overlooked the importance of the love affair. The greatest value of the relationship, for me, was in the fact that it could never last! In real life, I went overboard trying to make something work that had no chance of enduring a lengthy absense (the story's crisis). After I thought about if for a couple days, I was able to describe my motivation more honestly and with greater insight.

As a direct result from the effort that I have put into this project, my awareness of how I think and where my motivation comes from, has increased greatly.

Picture this: a notice comes to your mailbox in a large yellow envelope marked "URGENT". You open the envelope to discover that you are more than 30 days past due on a mandatory writing assignment. Subject: "What do you think you're doing with your life?" You're exempt if you write a novel.

Would that work for you?

BH