Sunday, May 18, 2008

Lucky For You, Michelle Obama, There Is Still Time!

I am a Chicago born African American male in my early 70s. I have had the great fortune of seeing most of America, either because of business interests or through personal travel. In both cases, I have enjoyed the mutual benefit of knowing a broad spectrum of people from various strata in this country.

Your academic achievements obviously outshine mine by several light candles, and I am sure you worked extra hard to earn your credentials. You're also quite charming. But those are all the virtues I can see, judging from your public appearances. There’s always the chance that a personal acquaintance would alter my current impressions of you.

In a word, I feel badly that your outlook and opinions of life in these United States appear to be bleak and uninspiring. If I were asked, I would say your expressions should be restricted to helping individuals of all racial backgrounds see the promising opportunities available to every citizen of this nation. Lack of justice in this country should never be an excuse for denying ourselves the advancement that comes from optimism and hard work.

I don’t wish to brag about my modest achievements. Yet, I am compelled to mention that, in 1970 I began my career as entrepreneur and business owner in the heart of Manhattan. My clients were representatives from Fortune 500 companies from various parts of this country.

During the last twenty years, I changed careers and became a stockbroker and investment advisor to dozens of wealthy individuals throughout the United States. The rest of this story can be found in my forth coming novel, “Stock Power”.

To call this country ‘mean’ is a conspicuous misnomer. I believe your attitude implies that you have not been able to accurately interpret the conditions for breaking the ranks and competing for a prize that is only available to people who are willing to make sacrifices. I further think it is naïve to think America is not a nation of free-thinking, progressive minds that tend to see the glass as half-full, instead of half-empty.

We blacks have suffered from racial bias for centuries and will continue to be hindered by the color of our skin. Yet, I worry that you, along with thousands of African Americans, have a viewpoint that is more detrimental than any external social stigma. Presenting this country’s faults to the public in terms of fear and contempt is a dangerous, counter-intuitive and wasteful exercise that I sincerely hope you will recognize as one that needs to be abandoned.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to compliment Mr. Obama’s campaign and not detract from it by voicing inappropriate statements that don’t make sense. You are at an enviable age that allows you time to step back, or go to a higher plane, where you can refresh your perceptions enough to see the horizon of a society that has encompassed a history of growth as well as degradation.

I believe you have time and the responsibility to add value to our country by being the visionary you can be without the unwarranted prejudice.

May God bless you and the Senator.

Bill Hudley

No comments: